Narcissists are always preoccupied in various acts that promote themselves. They are extremely arrogant and vain and will constantly brag about their achievements. So it’s no wonder that social networks have become their playground of choice.
People can get caught up in cultivating their own image and in the process forget to connect and engage with others, many of whom they either don’t speak to or know at all.
In fact, some would rather just scroll through the various timelines to remind themselves of the amazing and super-awesome life they have. I will add that most social media users are not narcissistic but, if you’re one of those folks that tweet every thought you have you might have a problem.
Here are a few signs that you might be a Social Media Narcissist
- Selfies were created and termed by someone, well like you. Striking a pose just comes so easy.
- Whenever there’s a picture being taken you’re there + you’re frequently updating your timeline with selfies while eating at expensive restaurants or with your latest gadgets. Also sometimes referred to as #humblebragging.
- You adore Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Google Plus and you’re on there all the time, almost as if you have that horrible fear of missing out, also known as #FOMO. If you’re a professional social media strategist it’s all good, if not give yourself a digital detox. : self-promotional:
- Narcissists in their teens and early twenties prefer Twitter while the older generations feel comfortable with Facebook for their self-expression/promotion.
- There’s a sense of excitement every time you notice a comment or like on an update and you would actually refresh your timeline twice in a row, just to make sure you’re not missing anything.