Ookla’s Net Index shows that South Africans are not getting a particularly good deal when it comes to broadband value for money.
The latest Net Index ranks South Africa at number 58 out of 64 countries in its global consumer broadband value report.
The Net Index ‘household value index’ uses recent surveys from Speedtest.net to compare and rank consumer broadband value around the globe.
According to the report citizens in Luxembourg enjoy the best broadband value for money, followed by Iceland and Denmark.
The following list provides the top 10 countries based on the average broadband subscription cost divided by the Gross Domestic Product per Capita.
- Luxembourg 0.594% ( $54.38/month )
- Iceland 0.804% ( $35.14/month )
- Denmark 0.906% ( $46.88/month )
- United Kingdom 0.938% ( $34.05/month )
- Austria 0.942% ( $38.93/month )
- Netherlands 0.953% ( $42.08/month )
- Sweden 0.973% ( $42.11/month )
- Norway 0.984% ( $77.72/month )
- Hong Kong 1.009% ( $25.94/month )
- Finland 1.072% ( $45.87/month )
- 58. South Africa 15.969% ( $75.56/month )
- When looking at the median cost per Megabit per second (download) divided by the Gross Domestic Product per Capita, South Africa remains in 58th place.
- South Africa’s price of $39.17 per Mbps is much higher than the global average of $9.90 per Mbps.
- Denmark 0.069% ( $3.59/Mbps )
- Iceland 0.072% ( $3.14/Mbps )
- Netherlands 0.077% ( $3.41/Mbps )
- Norway 0.081% ( $6.43/Mbps )
- Luxembourg 0.083% ( $7.62/Mbps )
- Switzerland 0.087% ( $4.64/Mbps )
- Sweden 0.087% ( $3.76/Mbps )
- Hong Kong 0.092% ( $2.38/Mbps )
- United Kingdom 0.098% ( $3.56/Mbps )
- Lithuania 0.102% ( $1.20/Mbps )
- 58. South Africa 8.278% ( $39.17/Mbps )
When looking at plain cost per Mbps (the median monthly cost in US dollars per Megabit per second), South Africa finishes last (number 64 out of 64 countries).
- Bulgaria $0.65 USD
- Romania $1.00 USD
- Lithuania $1.20 USD
- Ukraine $1.26 USD
- Republic of Moldova $1.31 USD
- Latvia $1.95 USD
- Slovakia $2.02 USD
- Hungary $2.09 USD
- Hong Kong $2.38 USD
- Russia $2.72 USD
- 64. South Africa $39.17 USD